1. What are the best practices, the business cases and the current state of the art of Open Source Hardware and Design?
In the introductory session, participants will be given an overview on the state of the art in the field of open source product development. The overview includes an introduction on the theoretical theme of the workshop through the presentation of projects, best practices, case studies of platforms, services and business models.
2. What makes a product open? We can discover it by looking at its components and parts.
In this session, participants will analyze an open source product in order to evaluate the adopted solutions for the customization and reproduction and to recognize the groups of target users. All products components will be shown, from hardware, software and designs.
Open mirror by Digital Habits
Primo by Solid Labs
3. Let’s start understanding how to approach the design of an interactive product whose parts, hardware and design can be accessed modified by different kind of people,
A series of conceptual tools will be provided to the participants for the development of the workshop final project according to the workshop framework. The conceptual tools consist in concept maps and templates for the design and documentation of the project elements (hardware, software, design, digital services, etc.).
4. Modifying, improving, building upon…
Participants will be asked to conceive, design and prototype a derivative of an open source product. They will face the development of the following activities: the definition of use scenarios and users profiles, the selection of the licenses, the definition of the interactive behaviors and the user experience for the reconfiguration process.
This session includes prototyping activities of both high-fidelity and low-fidelity prototypes. The activities will be guided by the workshop instructors and supported by conceptual tools and design templates.
5. Documenting is designing the reproducibility affordances of an open product-platform.
Fundamental activity of the workshop will be the documentation of the derivatives through GitHub or other control versioning system.